Congratulations to our team for making it through the first open annual individual open enrollment for the new Affordable Care Act plans! The enrollment period ended March 31, 2014. The next open enrollment will begin November 15, 2014 and will run through February 15, 2015.
We are now in the Special Open Enrollment Period which started April 1, 2014. A Special Open Enrollment period is an opportunity to purchase an individual policy outside of the annual open enrollment period as a result of specific events called qualifying events. These policies can be purchased through the Exchange if you qualify for financial subsidies or directly to the insurance companies if a subsidy is not needed. You have 60 days in most cases from your Qualifying Event (QE) to purchase the policy. Here is a list of qualifying events:
*Adoption or Guardianship of a child
*Loss of your health coverage due to:
- Involuntary loss of employer sponsored coverage that meets minimum essential coverage – *(at the time of this loss you could choose COBRA/State Continuation if available or an individual policy)
- Loss of affordable employer sponsored coverage – affordable is defined as your share of individual coverage costing you more than 9.5% of your income from your employer
- Reaching the maximum dependent age limit on your parent’s policy
- Expiration of your COBRA coverage
- Termination by the carrier of an existing individual plan-30 days to apply for this QE
- Loss of Medicaid or CHIP eligibility
*A permanent move that puts you outside of your current insurance company’s service area
*Becoming an American Citizen
IMPORTANT NOTES: A Special Enrollment Period will not be given if you voluntarily terminate your coverage or your policy was terminated due to non-payment of premiums.
Medicare Supplemental and dental plans can be purchased at any time throughout the year.
Please call us to discuss your options if you have experienced a qualifying event.